There are a number of strategies that may help with policy implementation and compliance:
- Ensure that the wording is appropriate to the audience.
- Make sure that stakeholders are aware of the reason for the policy (eg well-being of participants, safety of volunteers).
- Involve stakeholders in the policy development process.
- Make sure the policy is not too complex and/or ambiguous.
- Communicate the policies in a way that is easy and convenient.
- Communicate policies regularly: remind volunteers about policy and procedures at each appropriate opportunity.
- Get volunteers to sign a membership form that indicates they will follow policies and procedures.
- Consistently monitor policy implementation and impact (eg as part of the volunteer performance review process).